Nigerian music star Oyebanjo Dapo also known as D’banj and his rape accuser, Seyitan Babatayo, have both reached a non-monetary settlement.
In a statement released by non-governmental organisation, StandToEndRape (who has been handling the rape case) via it’s Twitter handle on Friday, July 24, 2020, stated that the music star and Ms Babatayo have both come to an agreement.
“On 13th of July 2020, Ms Babatayo informed STER that a non-monetary agreement was reached with D’banj’s team. We, therefore present the statement as a full account of our stewardship on this matter,” part of the statement read
The NGO went on to thank everyone who assisted Ms Babatayo especially during the period she was allegedly harassed by the music star and his team.
In their response, Ms Babatayo’s legal representative, Olamide Omileye of Ojoge, Omileye, and partners told Premium Times on Friday, July 24, 2020, that the only agreement reached was that “both parties are going to stand down on media trials and allow the law to take its course.”
They said both parties have agreed to desist from making any post or leaking any information to the public and allow the police to carry out their investigation.
“The police are still doing their investigation. Last week, Seyitan was in Abuja, D’banj was also in Abuja. They met the ACP and the woman did her part of the investigation,” they said.
“From our side, everything we have we’ve given to them and they’ve verified the information.
“Dbanj’s ex-manager, Franklin Amudo, didn’t come to the police station last Friday because of financial constraints. He couldn’t come to Abuja. I think that is the only thing delaying the investigations for now.”
This latest development is coming weeks after D’banj was accused of raping Babatayo at a hotel in Lagos.
The music star in his defense denied raping Babatayo and even demanded a public apology and N100M compensation.
The matter took another turn on Wednesday, June 17, 2020, when Babatayo was reportedly arrested by policemen from Sodipo Command, Ikeja.
Babatayo released a press statement on Wednesday, June 24, 2020, where she narrated all that transpired during her arrest.
In the statement, she revealed that she has officially filed a criminal complaint against the music star
The Inspector-General of Police, Adamu Mohammed, became interested in the case and gave an order that the case is investigated thoroughly.